Expat services

In general, you may need to file a Dutch tax return for any year
in which you lived or worked in the Netherlands for any part of the year.


Spoken languages: Dutch, English, Punjabi, Hindi en Urdu.

Complex and constant changing laws and regulations dominate our society. The need for legal advice grows. The founder of Legal Roadmap, Mw. Sonia Bagga (LL.M.) has a degree for the Netherlands Law from the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. She gained her experience from her daily work environment where she advised, informed and provided other services.

In 2012 she started her own company “Legal Consultancy Services”. In 2020 she changed the name of company in Legal Roadmap. Legal Roadmap has professional knowledge and experience for the growing need in the market. Her client base consists of a large group of expats who she gives legal advice and advises in tax matters. In her daily work she has years of experience in advising, informing and providing concrete services. Besides being a legal advisor, she is a law teacher, trainer and student counselor at a university of applied sciences. In 2016 she held her first TEDx talk about “flexibilization at the labor market”.

An inspiration to grow in unity – In 2019, IDEAH, Indo Dutch Entrepreneurs Association in Holland, presented and honored her for the ‘Best Inspiring Woman’ IDEAH Entrepreneurs Award 2018-2019. In her own words: “ Astonished and very happy at the same time as they said my name as ‘Best inspiring Woman’. At that time I realized that I am blessed and proud. There is a much larger group than me, and close people who know me, who believe in me for whom I am, my abilities, capabilities and qualities. Thank you for believing in me in whom I am, what I do, what I believe and where I stand for!”

Do you need more or specific information?

Please contact us and we are happy to help!

In general, you may need to file a Dutch tax return for any year in which you lived or worked in the Netherlands for any part of the year. If you have a BSN in the Netherlands and worked or lived in the Netherlands, a form will normally be issued to you by the Dutch tax authorities (Belastingdienst). If you have received such a form, you are required by law to complete and submit a tax return for the year. If you did not receive an official form, you are still required to submit a tax return in which you had Dutch-sourced income from employment, business enterprises). If you are working or living as an expat in The Netherlands you are liable to pay Dutch tax. In your case, it is certainly worthwhile to check the tax refund possibilities, because expats often have tax refund possibilities.

Even if you have not received an invitation to submit a tax return, it is important to have your tax situation checked by a  tax advisor to ensure you don’t miss any refund opportunities while filing your tax return in the Netherlands. If you have your tax return done by a firm hired by your employer you can also come to me for a second opinion. In some cases you have missed the refund opportunities (non-working spouse benefit or study cost).

We charge different fees to file a tax return (depends on your situation):

Checklist info for Dutch personal income tax return

General information

✓ Copy of valid ID and authorization code DigiD Code
✓ Tax authorities notice to file a return (if issued)
✓ Copy of your 30%ruling
✓ Initials and dates of birth of your children living with you

Fiscal data

✓ Copy of the previous year tax return (unless we helped you filing this)
✓ Preliminary tax assessment for the tax year
✓ Immigration date: if you entered or left the Netherlands in the tax year: exactdate of (de-)registration with municipality upon entering or leaving

Salary and other income

✓ Year statement (‘jaaropgave’)
✓ Overview income and expenses (e.g. freelance work)
✓ Overview alimony received (if any)
✓ Overview premiums paid for disability insurance oradditional retirement plans

If you have total savings/investments

✓ Annual overview of bank accounts in the Netherlands and abroad
✓ Annual overview of stocks, bonds and other securities
✓ Overview of any other assets, claims
✓ Overview of loans and debts
✓ Overview or policies ‘kapitaalverzekeringen’
✓ (WOZ-)value of property located in or outside of the Netherlands, not being yourmain residence

If you own a house

✓ WOZ-value-statement from themunicipality
✓ Annual overview mortgage interestpayments
✓ Overview other debt interest payments relating to your house
✓ Overview land lease payments (‘erfpacht’)(if applicable)

If you bought of sold a house

✓ Notary invoice/statement
✓ Invoices from realtors/
✓ Overview mortgage bank
✓ Overview expenses relating to homeimprovement
✓ Statement ‘eigen woningreserve’ (if applicable)

Tax-deductible expenses

✓ Overview of healthcare expenses notcovered by medical insurance, e.g. dentist, medication, etc.
✓ Overview of educational expenses you paid yourself, e.g. tuition fees, books, etc.
✓ Overview of alimony paid
✓ Overview of donations to charities

Please note: if you have a fiscal partner, we will also need this information above for him or her.